Pregnancy and Chiropractic
# 1 Is it safe to be adjusted by a chiropractor when I am pregnant??
Chiropractors are trained to work with women while they are pregnant and fully understand all the bodily and hormonal changes that take place as a woman develops. There are no indications to possible danger while adjusting an expectant mother at any stage of her pregnancy; adjustments are simple non-evasive maneuvers that are used to relieve tension and stress from the mother’s body. Specific tables and equipment are used to make mothers to be more comfortable while being treated.
# 2 What are the actual benefits of seeing a chiropractor??
Chiropractors are holistic practioners. We are concerned about entire health not just mechanical; but nutritional, emotional, chemical, and psychological. These all play an important role in the overall health of the mother and her baby.
– When your body is creating another life, the communication between your brain and body is vital to the correct development of your baby, chiropractic manipulations keeps that channel of communication open so that clear instructions can be sent from the mothers nervous system to her body as it uses nutrition and hormones to direct fetal development. This is a complex process, driven by the right materials and the correct time and use of such materials.
– Improves the mother’s immune system decreasing the chance of her getting sick.
– Water retention is a common result of pregnancy, adjustments help to disperse water evenly throughout the body so that you minimize the amount of swelling to the hands (presents as carpal tunnel like symptoms) and feet.
– Elevated hormone levels in pregnant women increases the laxity within the joints, allowing more movement of bones contributing to increased musculoskeletal pain. (lower back pain, abdominal pain, neck pain) Also, the quick and drastic shift in weight placed on the pelvis as your baby grows leads to lower back pain. All of which can be eased through chiropractic treatment.
– Breech pregnancies benefit from chiropractic care. Adjusting opens the pelvis and allows for more space, so that the baby has more room to turn into the correct position on its own. It is a natural and extremely less volatile method than manually turning or cesarean section.
– Shortens the time of labor, when the pelvis is adjusted and balanced more space is created for the baby to get into the birth canal.
Written by: Dr. Danique Howell, DC, MSHS