Please note: we do not act as primary care providers but provide consultation medical and wellness services. It is important for you to also maintain the services of a primary care provider. We are not available after hours and do not provide “on call” coverage. We do not maintain hospital admitting privileges. In case of emergency, we ask that you call 911.
What is Functional Medicine, and how is it different from conventional medicine?
Traditional medicine relies heavily on drugs or hormones to deal with dysfunction or disease. This approach can work well for acute diseases, trauma, infection, and emergencies. Sadly, it fails miserably in the care of chronic diseases that affect over 125 million Americans. For more and more people, Functional Medicine is becoming the answer.
Think about it. We eat terrible foods, live sedentary lives, and depend on medications to clean up the mess. Then we wonder why our nation is getting sicker and sicker.
Functional Medicine operates on several basic premises:
- What happens within us is connected in a complicated network or web of relationships. Understanding those relationships allows us to see deep into the functioning of the body.
- Your body is intelligent and is created to regulate itself through a dynamic balance of all its systems.
- Your body has the ability to heal and prevent nearly all the diseases of aging.
- We are all genetically and biochemically unique. Health care should treat the individual, not the disease, by restoring and supporting the normal healing mechanisms of the body rather than attacking disease directly.
Instead of asking, “What drug matches up with this disease?” Functional Medicine asks, “Why do you have this problem in the first place?” and “What can we do to restore function?” We look to find the root cause or mechanism involved with any loss of function, based on interactions between the environment and the gastrointestinal, endocrine, and immune systems.
For example, you aren’t having trouble sleeping because of Ambien deficiency. You’re having trouble sleeping because of a number of factors, such staying up too late and looking at computer screens for too long before bed. Or, there may be deeper issues such sleep apnea, anxiety, or hormone imbalances. Instead of giving you a sleeping pill, we help you solve the real cause of your insomnia so you can sleep better in a safer, more natural and more sustainable way.
We help you optimize the foods you eat, identify simple ways to change your lifestyle, and use plant-based supplements that can help you feel better now and prevent disease down the road.
We also test for things like food allergies, nutritional deficiencies and hormone imbalances, because we are looking at how your body is functioning today instead of waiting for you to get sick.
Using this approach, the specially trained professionals at Apple Healthcare help you get to the bottom of what is hurting you, whether it’s chronic pain, illness, or simple indigestion. We work with you to determine how and why illness occurs, and restore health by addressing the root causes of disease for each individual.
Services We Offer
- Hormone Therapy
- Sleep Studies
- Food Allergy and Sensitivity Testing
- Gut Health Testing
- Cognitive Health
- Headache Relief
- Durable Medical Equipment (DME) Bracing
- Joint and Trigger Point Injections
- Joint Aspirations
- Neuropathy Testing
- Hormones and Thyroid Testing
- Diet Plans
- Braces and Assistive Devices
- Diagnostic Ultrasound
- Nutritional Consultation
- Cold Laser